Thrifty Thursday:DIY Christmas Ornament Ideas

Happy Thursday! Can you believe that there are only two weeks left until Christmas? Not to mention only three until the new year. Is it me or did 2014 FLY by?!

This year, I upgraded my fake Christmas tree, going from a six foot tree to a seven and a half foot tree. After adding my ornaments, the tree looks pretty bare! So, I decided to make some ornaments with items that I already had. And of course, I documented it!

Light Bulb Ornaments


Well, of course this is a Pinterest idea but the design is my own.


What You Will Need:
  • Light Bulbs
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brushes
  • Ribbon of Your Choice
  • Glue/ Glue Gun
  • Scissors
  • Small hair clips
  • Pom-poms (optional)

Use the hair clips to hold your bulbs as you paint




1. Draw your design. I chose to make a snowman for the first bulb. The paint is wet in the photo so that's why it looks bumpy. I would suggest painting your bulb completely before drawing on your face.



2. Attach a piece of ribbon (at least five inches) to either side of the bulb using hot glue.


3. Use a second piece to wrap around the first, securing with hot glue.


4. Add a pom-pom to top off your hat and hide the plug.


I also made a penguin bulb. I started by painting the whole bulb black, waited for it to dry, and then painted the white on top. If you mess up, just wipe it off quickly.


I really loved how these ended up looking on the tree in my office. Yes, the tree is purple.



Figurine Ornaments
Have you ever had a little figurine that doesn't seem to fit in anywhere with your decor? If you are like me and don't limit your tree to ball ornaments, make it into an ornament


What You Will Need
  • One cool looking figurine with defined eyebrows
  • Twine
  • Glue/ Glue Gun
  • Scissors

1. Cut a six inch piece of twine and tie the ends together, leaving a little hair on the outside of the knot.


2. Hot glue your knot to the back of the figurine. Be sure to add lots of glue to secure the twine.


And you have a new ornament to hide on the tree! And stare at you with those eyebrows.


Ninja Turtle Ornaments
Easiest DIY of a character EVER!



What You Will Need
  • Green Bulb
  • Ribbon (your choice of color)
  • Hot Glue/ Glue Gun
  • Scissors
  • Googly eyes
  • Black Sharpie

1. Measure out your ribbon and hot glue it around your bulb.


2.  Add your googly eyes with hot glue. Then draw on a smile using a sharpie.


Hang your turtle to protect your tree!




Mason Jar Ornament
This mason jar is actually a recycled Bath and Bodywork's candle.


What I used:
  • Mason Jar
  • Small bear ornament
  • Cotton balls

1. I pulled the cotton balls apart to create snow and then added it to the bottom of my jar.



2. I added my figurine to the jar. I actually cheated and used a smaller ornament to put into the jar.



3. For the lid, I just used a nail and hammer to make a whole. My ornament already had a string but you can easily make one using twine.





I love this mason jar because the Christmas lights reflect through the glass. I am thinking of personalizing this in some way but I just wanted to get the general idea out there. 



**Which ornament idea is your favorite? Will you or have you tried any of these ideas?  Leave your comments below. Please share! Thanks for reading!**

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor