Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic


So if you have been following my blog. you know that I have really been getting more organized in 2015. One way that I continue to add new items to my home is to recycle the products that I use.

Recently, I came across this Pin that I wanted to try out for baking ingredient storage:

find this tutorial on www.hometalk.com

Now while this idea is very clever I wasn't sure if I would use paint to redo the cans that I have. This got me thinking about another Pin that I saw on Pinterest about removing printed labels with nail polish remover.


Found on www.2busybrunettes.com

After I saw this Pin, I checked it out on YouTube and with thin plastic, it does work. With this in mind I wondered if I could remove the label from the Folgers Container. Which brings us to this weeks trial.

TRIAL

What You Will Need:


Before:


Directions:

  1. Fold a piece of paper towel and soak it in nail polish remover. 
  2. Place nail polish soaked paper towel on the label for 5 minutes.
  3. Begin rubbing the label off after five minutes.


After 5 Minutes:

No color transfer

The label is the same

So I thought I would give this one more shot and I decided to repeat this method using pure Acetone.



After 5 Minutes:

Again, no color transfer

Results: FAIL

Looks like I will be painting these after all. You can look forward to seeing these cans again as a future DIY project.

** Thanks for reading! What would you like me to try out next? Leave it in the comments below. Hope that your week is going well and have a great day!**

Comments

  1. Darn! I thought it was going to work! And I never thought of using my old plastic coffee cans to put flour or sugar in. Great idea! I have canisters on my counter for those but the canisters never hold as much as the bag. So I have opened bags in my cupboard. Now I can put those bags in the coffee cans for extra assurance it all will stay fresh! You're so smart! Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that these Trials are helpful! I normally save butter containers for leftovers to give to people (don't care if they are returned) but I myself never thought about these cans until I saw it on Pinterest. I currently use other Tupperware to store my flour and sugar so now I can use them for something else.

      Delete
  2. went to hardware store, bought acitone in a can, removed labels on maxwell house and carnation creamer canisters in 5 mins. wiped down remander of labels with rubbing alcohol. had 4 canisters ready to clean in soap and water in less than 30 min.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor