Trial Tuesday: Removing Scratches From Wood


If you haven't figured it out by now, furniture is not made like it used to be. For this reason, when looking for wooden pieces I usually opt for the old, heavy wooden pieces over the plywood of today. So, when I look for furniture, it's typically at a thrift store or rummage sale.

I take such pride in finding pieces and repurposing them. You can take something old and make it like new with a little effort. While repainting furniture can be fun, it is even better when you find a piece that just needs a good cleaning. So when I came across the Pin below, I was very curious to see if this technique worked.



TRIAL

What You Will Need

  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Cup Vinegar
  • Wash Cloth
Before


Directions
  1. Mix vinegar and oil.
  2. Use a wash cloth to apply the mixture to your scratch.
  3. Repeat steps if necessary.

After


Results: FAIL
Note that literally nothing happens. Now, while this scratch is pretty deep, isn't that the point? I did try this method on lighter scratches in the wood as well and it still did nothing. I tried to get a picture but the scratches were so light that my camera couldn't pick them up.

**Do you know of any methods to remove scratches? And, what would you like me to trial next? Leave it in the comments below, I would love your feedback. Thanks for reading!!**

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this method and probably because, obviously, it doesn't work! For small scratches, use a felt tipped marker the same color as that wood and run it along the scratch. No, it doesn't fill the scratch but if it is small enough, it makes it unnoticeable. I love you trying out these experiments and letting us know if they work or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to use nail polish on furniture before and its usually to sheer to match. Thanks for the tip on markers, I will definitely have to try that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic