Trial Tuesday: DIY Ice Melt


If you live in a place where it snows regularly, nothing is worse than when you bust your butt shoveling and later realize that you are out of salt for the ground! And if you use special salts, like those safe for dogs' paws, you could be out of luck in getting your salt until the next day if stores are closed.

I wanted to find a method online that used items that I would likely have. So, I went to Pinterest and I found this pin:


I checked out the website to make sure that it was legitimate and it actually had some great tips for frugal living. If you are interested, visit the Debt Free Spending Website after you finish reading this post. ;)

Homemade Ice Melt

Ingredients

  • 1-Teaspoon Dawn dish soap
  • 1-Tablespoon Rubbing Alcohol
  • 1/2-Gallon (2-Quarts) Warm Water
Directions
  1.  Mix all ingredients in a bucket or spray bottle.
  2.  Use on ice.
Note: This formula is said to be safe for pets and concrete.


Pre-Trial Questions to Myself
  1. Does this mixture also prevent ice from forming?
  2. Will new ice form from the water being used in the cold?
  3. Is this method actually effective? 
TRIAL

Variables
Time of Trial: 12:20 PM
Sun: None
Snow: On ground but not falling
Wind: Low
Temperature: 18 Degrees Fahrenheit

I opted to use a bucket for this trial since I wanted to dump the water while it was still warm. The mixture looked as I expected it to, like soapy water.



Area before Ice Melt Applied



Ice Melt Test Results

Time Passed
Results
0 Minutes
Ground steamed up, little melting
1 Minute
Some of the patch melted
8 Minutes
Frozen patch still there & new puddle of water
5 Hours
Frozen patch still there and new patch where the puddle was



0 Minutes




1 Minute



8 Minutes



puddle that formed


5 Hours Later


Looks like the original

QUESTION ANSWERS
  1. Does this mixture also prevent ice from forming? No
  2. Will new ice form from the water being used in the cold? Yes
  3. Is this method actually effective? No
RESULT: FAIL

**This was a fun little science experiment! I am sad that It didn't work, I really wanted this to work out. Although, I had a feeling that it wouldn't. Let me know in the comments below what you want me to try next!**

Comments

  1. I heard to take a spray bottle and fill it up 2/3 of vinegar, and 1/3 water. And that was supposed to work? Haven't tried it yet myself because I was given a bottle of the RAIN X brand Ice Remover( which works well!) but maybe next you can try this version and let us know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that, Shannon!! Thank you for the tips!

      Delete
  2. This might work if the portions of the liquid soap and alcohol were increased, but I don't know for sure. It did seem like too little alcohol though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about the portions, Patty! Who knows. I just felt like the warm water is what made the snow melt in the first place?!

      Delete
  3. Is there an ice melt that is environmentally safe? Yes. Safe Paw Ice Melter. A break-through product safe for families, pets and the surrounding ecosystems

    Homemade Ice Melt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor