Makeup Monday: Keeping Your Hair Healthy


Healthy hair is something that most women take for granted. We color, blow dry, curl, hot iron, and even style our hair without ever thinking of the damage that we are doing to it. About two years ago I came to the realization that I needed to take better care of my hair because it was dry and dull, so I began researching how I could do that.

While I still color my hair and use heating tools often, the tips that I am about to give you have really improved my hair over time. If you are struggling with dry or lifeless hair, keep reading!

Don't Wash Your Hair Everyday. Shampoos contain chemicals that strip your hair causing it to become dull, dry, and/or brassy in color. I started using Garnier's Sulfate-Free shampoo about a year ago and I would highly recommend it to anyone that gets brassy hair from washing! Avoid causing this damage by covering your hair with a shower cap. Or, just get it wet but don't wash it. You can also use a little conditioner if you want to refresh your scent.

Don't Use Too Much Shampoo. Most people use too much shampoo and conditioner when washing their hair. To avoid using too much product, simply start with a quarter-sized amount of product and add more if needed.

Use Deep Conditioners or Hot  Oil Weekly. Add extra shine and vitamins to your hair once per week. My favorite product for deep conditioning is Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle. I occasionally use hot oil just to change up my products and I stick with the classic V05 Hot Oil Therapy.

Use Leave-In Conditioners. If your hair is extremely dry or damaged, get a leave-in conditioner to use after showering. My favorite leave in conditioner is Long-Term Relationship by Herbal Essences. I like to use this product on days before I plan on straightening my hair because it adds extra moisture, leaving my hair silky smooth after heating.

Limit Heating Tool Use. I know, it's going to be tough but you can do it! Try out different hairstyles instead of reaching for the straightener every morning. And when you do use heat, make sure that you use some type of heat activating spray before heating your hair. Using a spray will limit the damage to your hair when heating. Tresemme and John Frieda both make great sprays to use with heating tools.

Don't Damage Your Hair When Styling. Avoid causing split ends whenever possible! If you are straightening or curling your hair, take the time to section it out so you don't split your hair. If you are putting your hair up, don't tie it too tight. If you use clips, part with a comb and not the clip. Just avoid pulling your hair apart in general.

Cut Your Hair Often. Any hair stylist will tell you, if you want your hair to grow faster and stronger to cut it at least every 6 weeks. Someone who is trying to keep up short hair will tell you that this is truth. Do not wait until your hair gets to the point that it "doesn't do anything anymore" before you go in for a cut.

Give Your Hair A Day Off. If there is a day of the week that you are home, don't do anything to your hair. I love winter because I can throw a beanie on and go without even brushing as long as my frizz is under control. And I have to say that it feels great to let my hair loose and not worry about it.

**Thanks for reading. What did I forget? If you have more tips, leave them in the comments below.  Happy Monday!**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor