Trial Tuesday: DIY Drain Cleaner


If you have never had a clogged drain in your life, what is your secret? Because I should have bought stock in Drano years ago with all of the drains that I have clogged in my life! Currently, my bathroom sink keeps getting clogged when we wash our hands or brush our teeth. I want to say that my hair is the culprit because that is what it usually is. I am actually shocked that I am not balding by now, with all of the hair that I shed.



I came across a DIY drain cleaner on, you guessed it, Pinterest and I wanted to try it out. The pin and instructions originally come from a website called Tidy Mom. Check out her site after reading this post for great DIYs, crafts, recipes, and more.


TRIAL

What You Will Need:

  • 3/4 Cup Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Cup White Distilled Vinegar 
  • A small plate or drain plug to close the drain hole


Directions:

1. Remove the drain cover so that you can see down the pipe. Since the sink that I am doing the trial on is a bathroom sink, there is a drain stopper attached to the plug so it cannot be removed.

2. Pour the baking soda down the drain. Since I was unable to remove the top, I made a funnel with a piece of paper to get the baking soda down the pipe. You can also get a funnel for free from most gas stations if you can remember to grab one.



3. Pour the vinegar down the drain. It will begin to foam on contact with the baking soda.



4. Cover the drain immediately to keep the  liquid inside. If it's a bathroom sink, simply plug it. Let your cleaner sit in the drain for at least 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, uncover the drain and run hot water for 2-3 minutes. This is after three minutes of the water running:



6. For stubborn clogs, repeat steps if necessary.

-My clog was stubborn so I actually had to do the process twice. The first trial did  not work in unclogging my drain and unfortunately I could tell immediately. The second trial also failed and I did it immediately after. The picture above is actually from the second trial! Unfortunately, this process does not work.

Results: FAIL!


**Thanks for reading! I hope that you like my Trial posts as much as I enjoying doing them! Leave your suggestions below as to what I should test out next.**

Comments

  1. It failed? OK; I won't be doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told that this method could also crack your pipes so definitely DON'T DO IT!!!

      Delete
  2. Too bad your DIY drain cleaner didn't worked out well, Jessica. Sometimes we really need to ask help from the experts to be sure that the problem will be fixed, instead of causing more damage due to a fail DIY disasters. It may come with a price, but calling in an expert would save us some time and effort too. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing!


    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor