How To Do Wednesday: How To Start Your Own Blog


image from thecommunicationblog.com
Want to start a blog? I say, go for it! Here are a few tips on how to start your blog. No, I am not a professional blogger but I love blogging and I would encourage anyone that has even thought about it to do it. Here are a few tips on how to start your own blog and websites that you can do it on, for FREE!

Find a website that works for you
Blogger, Tumblr, and WordPress are three popular websites that are free for new users. There are tons of articles available online if you are looking to update your blog. I currently use Blogger (powered by Google) to publish my blog. Since starting my blog I have changed the layout a few times, and have learned so much since starting to publish just from Googling “how to” questions. And the best part of Blogger is the community that you can join to promote your blog and get ideas on how to make your blog a success.
 

Come up with a blogging concept
What are you interested in? I have various interests so I kept my concept a little broad, but you can definitely find your niche to center your blog around. Some ideas for blogging concepts can include: cars, crafting, DIY, sewing, video games, art, politics, hobbies, sports, exercise, home décor, flower arranging, and more. What interests you? Would you call yourself an expert? Or at the very least knowledgeable on the subject of your choice? If so, do not be shy or scared to share your ideas! And welcome comments to help your readers feel that they are a part of your blog because without them, you would just be talking to yourself.  
 

 Choose a name for your blog
The name of your blog should be simple and relevant to your blog concept. The easier that you make your blog name; the easier that it will be for readers to remember your page by name. I would keep it as simple as possible! It is even better if you can find something that is catchy or unique but simple. Be as creative as possible.
 

Make a schedule for publishing entries
While I have a five day per week schedule for my blog schedule, you can keep it simple and publish once weekly but STICK TO YOUR SCHEDULE! I know that it can be tough but you can always write posts in advance and schedule for the blog to publish your entry itself. I currently write one to two posts at a time so that I am not actually writing entries everyday but am still sticking with my schedule. 


Decide how you are going to promote your blog
Many of you probably have social media accounts so use them! I get majority of my traffic from my Facebook page and I am so grateful to each and every person who clicks! Regardless if my readers are a subscribers to my blog or not, the clicks that my blog gets from Facebook alone keep me posting every day. It also challenges me to write better content and stay organized in posting.

Using multiple social media accounts will also keep random clickers coming to your site. Don’t be afraid to post when you don’t have new content just telling people to check you out or thanking people for reading. Again, you would be nothing without your readers.
 

DO NOT PLAGARIZE!
Do not steal other people’s work or ideas without giving credit! You do not want to be that person who actually gets popular and then has someone come back saying that you stole their content. I haven’t really seen this on blogs but I have seen it on YouTube where someone posts a video response bashing someone popular because their ideas were stolen.  You do not want to get a bad reputation in any online community.  Post captions under your photos too if there isn’t a watermark already; always give credit where credit is due.


**What are you going to blog about? Or, what would you like to see me blog about. Leave it in the comments below. As always, thank you for reading and subscribing!**

Comments

  1. Great info! Not sure I want to plunge in yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Patty, you are so talented! I would love to see an art blog from you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor