How To Do Wednesday: Luggage Packing Tips


Vacationing is awesome when you finally get to your destination, but planning can be stressful. If you are like me, your stress level will probably increase even more if you are flying from packing-anxiety. Since I couldn't really find any full articles like this, I have put together a guide for packing your luggage when flying.including both luggage size regulations and tips for packing organization. Happy travels!

PLANNING

Make a Checklist
Or find one on the internet because there are lots of free templates available. Plan your activities and find checklists for them. The last thing that you want to do is get to your destination and have to buy something that you could have brought from home

Make a Travel Folder
Print everything that you have even if you have an email confirmations saved to your phone. Computers can glitch so its important that you have a backup handy. Print maps to your hotel from the car rental place and maps from the hotel to the destinations that you would like to visit. This will also save you some data usage on your cell phone if you don't have to use your GPS. You should also make a photo copy of your ID in case it is lost or stolen since you can only get a replacement in your home state.

BAGGAGE

Allowance Per Paid Ticket
You are allowed one personal item that can be stored under the seat and a carry-on item with the purchase of a seat. Checked bag usually costs extra but some airlines allow the first checked bag for free. Most airlines also allow you to bring an extra item like a car seat or stroller at no cost to you, which can save you a ton when renting a car or visiting a park that offers stroller rental.

Size Regulations:
Personal Item (Purse or Laptop Bag): No bigger than 36". You measure your item the same way as you measure the luggage: length, width, and height.

Carry-On Bag: No larger than 45" and 40 pounds. Duffle bags make great carry-on bags because they allow for plenty of storage and are usually only a pound to start, leaving 39  pounds of storage.

Suitcase: No larger than 60" and 50 pounds. Most standard suitcases are about 12 pounds so you are allowed 38 pounds of actual luggage. 


How to Measure a Suitcase
Measure your suitcase at the base (bottom) of the suitcase when standing. Please see where lines and arrows are in the photo. The length, width, and height totaled equal the size of your suitcase.










Item Transport
Each passenger is allowed one quart sized baggie full of liquids in their carry-on. Your liquids can fill the bag completely as long as the bag can close. These liquids need to have a net weight of less than 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less per container. Most travel-sized products and makeup products are less than this.All of your liquids including lip gloss must be in this baggie or checked in your luggage.

PACKING TIPS

Travel Containers
So I found these at Dollar Tree and I am going to try them. I didn't want to risk the bottles being unapproved and taken by TSA, so for the trip there they will be in my checked luggage. On the way back, I will put them in my carry-on to see if I am allowed to keep them. I will give you a full review soon along with reviews on other Dollar Tree products.








Liquids in Plastic Bags
I know this is an obvious one but just for that one person who never thought of it, pack your liquids in a baggie to save your clothes in the case of a spill!









Dollar Tree Sweater Bags
These are great to separate your clothing by day. These come in a two pack.











They are about as big as a pillowcase.











Plastic Shoe Bins
I put all of my breakable items in a plastic shoe box from Dollar Tree. They currently have purple and orange for Fall so I got purple to match my luggage.














I used a piece of twine to secure my box closed. I originally was going to tape the box but I figured that twine would be easier to reuse when coming back.














 


Recycled Containers
Used recycled Tic-Tac containers to hold small objects like bobby pins, bandaids, coin change, floss picks, or even kids gummy vitamins.





Use old screw or nail kit containers to hold jewelry or other small items. These are perfect for rings and earrings.















My cotton balls and swabs fit perfectly in the screw container that I had. I relabeled using a shipping label.
















Heavy Plastic Container
The Nesquik container is great for storage because the container is really thick and the lid closes securely. I decided to keep some of my small makeup items in here that will go into my checked luggage. I just decided to do this so I didn't get to cover the label.

 






  
Craft Box for Jewelry
I got this at Dollar tree and it worked so well for holding all of my accessories! It's heavy-duty and I can see all of my accessories easily without having to even open the lid.









 I also decided to keep some hair ties and my bra-strap hider plastic thing in here since I don't have any other hair accessory products.












DIY Shoe Bottom Covers
Use shower caps to cover the bottoms of your shoes to avoid getting your clothes dirty.










Bring as Much Food as Possible!
Seriously, especially if the food is going to be more expensive than you pay on average. You can never go wrong with a breakfast bar! All packaged food items can be placed in your carry on as long as they are not considered liquid and over the limit.










Bring Extra Storage Materials
Bring extra baggies, shower caps, and plastic sweater bags just in case!










Ready to Go
Now this is what I call organized. Nothing is free flowing in my luggage.













**Thank you for reading! Do you have more tips on traveling or storage? If so, leave them in the comments below! Have a great hump day!!**

Comments

  1. Great packing! But you should also include a bag of some sort for souvenirs you're bound to buy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makeup Monday: DIY- Makeup Storage Jars

Trial Tuesday: Removing Printed Labels From Plastic

Thrifty Thursday: Christmas Door Decor